What type of Income should I count?
What are the income guidelines for the program?
How soon will I receive services?
Once the application is approved, PCS will determine the priority of the application based on households with seniors, disabled or with children under the age of 6 years. Households that meet these priority groups may receive assistance before households that do not contain a priority group. Due to limited funding, applicants may be placed on a waiting list according to the household priority.
What if I only need windows or doors?
Due to the intent of the program, PCS cannot assist eligible clients with only windows or doors. Only measures approved by the NEAT audit, in conjunction with program rules and regulations can be performed. After PCS staff visit a client’s house and prepare a home needs assessment, the information is entered into the computerized National Energy Audit (NEAT) Audit Program. The computerized Audit determines what measures will be addressed on the house based on potential energy savings for that house.
What may deny my ability to obtain Weatherization services?
At a minimum, denial of services may be attributed, but not limited, to:
1. Household has been previously weatherized.
2. Household is over the maximum limit.
3. Household does not provide required documents.
4. NEAT Audit determines that any potential work will not benefit the home.
5. Work on house is beyond the scope of the program. (House requires extensive work beyond the ability of the program.)
6. Household has major roof leaks.
7. Health and/or safety issues for PCS staff or its contractors.
What happens if I am denied?
Clients have the right and opportunity to appeal a denial. Denied applicants will receive a “Denial notice” along with appeals information. Applicants must comply with the requirements and timelines identified in the appeals procedures.
How do I prepare for an Energy Audit?
1. Ensure you or an adult are home at the appointment time. PCS will not perform a home assessment if there is not an authorized adult on the premises throughout the assessment.
2. Ensure that PCS has access throughout the house, in each room and around the house. Pets and/or animals must be secured for the protection of PCS staff.
3. Ensure that PCS there is access into the attic and/or the crawlspace under the home (if applicable).
Will I get the same items that my neighbor received?
Eligible WAP clients may not receive the same services as other previously weatherized clients. Each home is difference and services are based on the needs and condition of each house.
What are types of Energy Conservation?
1. Turning off lights when you are not in a specific room.
2. Switch to Energy Star-Qualified compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs)
3. When purchasing new appliances, purchase appliances that are Energy Star rated.
4. Repair leaky faucets.
5. Purchase the right size of water heater.
6. Use a programmable thermostat for air conditioning and heating needs.
7. Set your thermostat to the recommended energy saving settings.
8. Replace Central HVAC air filters at least once a month.
9. Clean refrigerated window unit air filters at least once a month.
10. Use one (1) refrigerator, not two (2).